LWVFA Program Materials: Studies and Informational Articles
For more about the League and LWVFA, read The League of Women Voters is Changing: Where We've Been, Where We are Going, and LWVFA's Role.
2018 Metro: Fund it or Fix it
MARCH 2018 FAIRFAX VOTER FOCUSES ON METRO REFORMS: METRO, FUND IT, FIX IT
"FIFI” Is Not a French Poodle—It’s a Solution to Metro’s Problems and We Are Part of It.
You may have heard lately that Metro is in trouble. The League of Women Voters of the National Capital Area (LWVNCA), of which LWVFA is a member, is working to be a part of the solution. LWVNCA has joined a coalition of 22 organizations—called “FIFI”— which is an acronym for “Fund It/Fix It,” and its sole purpose is to “get Metro back on track” (pun intended). Read this comprehensive article; learn when and why the League became an early and continuing supporter of Metro and discuss how we can be part of the solution which affects all of us, including Fairfax County and City, as well as the rest of the metropolitan D. C. area.
In addition to the March 2018 Fairfax VOTER, here are additional resources for the unit discussion groups:
- Discussion Questions Report Form
- Chart (better resolution in color) of How WMATA is funded (from VOTER article)
- Metro "Fund It/Fix It" article as a separate document (from VOTER article)
The following articles provide more information:
- Newspaper article on status of funding legislation in MD, DC and VA (Hopes run high….WaPo, Feb 21, 2018)
- Back2Good Chart (Feb 21 Update from WMATA)
- Deb Wake’s Feb. 22, 2018 Report to the LWVFA Board on Status of Transit in Virginia and FIFI, with links to latest reports
- Deb Wake’s CTB Meeting Notes email of Feb. 21, with links to newspaper articles and other reports
- Letter from FIFI to Elected Officials, January 18, 2018
LWVFA STUDIES FRACKING IN VIRGINIA
What do you know about hydraulic fracturing ("fracking" for short) and where it is taking place in Virginia? A small but mighty LWV of Virginia (LWV-VA) Fracking Study Committee has thoroughly researched this much debated, political and environmental issue and has produced a voluminous report called "Fracking in Virginia," the first part of which is presented in the January 2017 Fairfax VOTER. Part II follows in the February Fairfax VOTER Newsletter and contains the Consensus Questions for the LWV-VA "Fracking in Virginia" Study.
FRACKING CONSENSUS MATERIALS
Additional materials for the discussion (both for January and February) are posted here: January 2017 Fairfax VOTER-in color; Discussion Questionsprinted in January VOTER); Appendices (from the Study Report); References for the entire report (from the Study Report); Fracking Study Glossaryused in the Report.
Direct Link to the 11MB PDF file of the entire 20-plus page "Fracking In Virginia Study" Report is available HERE. To view background papers and other resources, including the latest updates on legislation in the General Assembly and DMME regulations that were adopted December 28, go to the LWV-VA Natural Resources website, http://www.lwv-va-natres.org/.
2008 - 2009 Program Materials
2008 - 2009 Program Materials: (September 2008 through June 2009)
- Everything You Need to Know - and Share - About Elections. (September 2008)
- It's Not Always Easy to Vote. Everything you need to know and share about voting - Part 2.(October 2008)
- Restoring Civil Rights of Felons - Part II - LWV-VA Consensus. (November 2008)
- Popular Vote or Electoral College? LWVUS Consensus on NPV (February 2009)
- EQ - The World's Diminishing Oil Supply (March 2009)
- Encouraging Public Conversation About the Middle East (part 1) (April 2009)
- Aging in Fairfax (June 2009)
2008 Program Materials: (January - June)
2008 Program Materials: (January - June)
- Can Fairfax County Keep its Cool? (January 2008)
- The Future Lies With Four-Year Olds. in the February Bulletin (February 2008)
- Discussion and consensus on LWVFA's positions on FCPS Schools - Part II - Bricks, Buses and Books. (March 2008)
- Restoring Civil Rights of Felons - LWV-VA Consensus Part I. (May 2008)
2007 Program Materials: January - October 2007
- Land Use Part 1 and Part 2 (February 2007 Bulletin)
- Airport Update (March 2007 Bulletin)
- Later Start Times for High School and Middle School Concurrence (April 2007 Bulletin)
- Immigration - Part II LWVUS Consensus (May 2007 Bulletin)
- Schools Positions Update Part I - LWVFA Consensus (June 2007)
- Affordable Housing (September 2007 Bulletin)
- Immigration - Part I LWVUS Consensus (October 2007 Bulletin)
2006 Program Materials:
- Virginia's Marriage Amendment (September 2006)
- Libraries - Part II (February 2006)
- Politics of Fear (March 2006)
- Can We Afford later High School Start Times? (May 2006)
- Reaching a Verdict This booklet is provided by the American Bar Association and was sent separately to all members. Click here to request a copy.
- Juries in Virginia (October 2006)
2005 Program Materials:
- CEDAW (November 2005)
- Gang Activities and Prevention
- Redistricting - Does your Vote really count?
- Fairfax County Library Update
- Virginia Women in Politics
- A Survey of Fairfax County Public Schools
- Homeland Security
2004 Program Materials: