Democracy is not a spectator sport!
The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political organization encouraging informed and active participation in government. It influences public policy through education and advocacy.
Meet the candidates for the 8th, 10th and 11th congressional districts! Click on Meet and Greet below to find out where and when!
LWVFA member appeared on Fairfax Public Access television
Olga Hernandez, LWVFA and former president of LWV of Virginia, and representatives from AAUW, AARP, CAPAVA (Coalition of Asian Pacific Americans of Virginia) and Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. were interviewed by Bettina Lawton on Inside Scoop. Click Here to read more.
LWVFA members interviewed on show "On the Go with AAUW"
Helen Kelly and Peggy Knight were interviewed by Cathleen Myers on the show On the Go with AAUW. The show will air on Fairfax Public Access, Channel 10, on Monday September 8, 12:30 a.m., Thursday September 11, 9:30 p.m., Sunday September 14, 4 p.m. Helen and Peggy did a great job providing information about the League's roots in the Women Suffrage Movement and our current activities especially educating the public. They were able to share information about voter registration, voter id laws, and the Meet and Greet events.
2014 Meet and Greet Events Learn More
- 2014 Meet and Greet
Meetings and Calendar Learn More
- Times and locations of meetings and the monthly program topic.
Election Information Learn More
- Click here for information on General and Special Elections as well as information on absentee voting, your polling place, and ID required to vote.
Voting Information Learn More
- Eligibility, Registration, Absentee Ballots, ID Requirements, Polling Places and more
Facts For Voters Learn More
- The League's annual brochure of government officials, agencies and services with contact information
Join the League Learn More
- Why and how can you join our grassroots organization?
Contact Us Learn More
- ...for more information.
Who We Are & What We Do
The League of Women Voters of the Fairfax Area is a nonpartisan political organization that encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
- We discuss & study issues of local, national, state & regional concern. We inform ourselves, legislators & the general public about the results of our research.
- We lobby for passage of laws we support & for the defeat of those we oppose, based on League positions.
- We monitor elections & government activities.
- We sponsor candidate debates & community forums about vital issues.
- We testify at legislative & administrative hearings to insure citizen input in policy making decisions.
- We publish & distribute issue-oriented material.
- We advocate, we occasionally go to court to help clarify & enforce laws in the public interest.
- We produce & distribute Voters' Guides to help citizens to choose candidates & to be prepared to vote on ballot questions.
- We get INVOLVED! Join us in lively conversations & interesting issues!
The League of Women Voters never supports or opposes candidates for office, or political parties, and any use of the League of Women Voters name in campaign advertising or literature has not been authorized by the League.
Membership in the League of Women Voters is open to anyone -- men and women -- age 18 and older. JOIN US - click here
for an application form.