Democracy is not a spectator sport!
The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political organization encouraging informed and active participation in government. It influences public policy through education and advocacy.
Meet the candidates for the 8th, 10th and 11th congressional districts! Click here to find out where and when!
Are you a high school student seeking community service hours or a government teacher whose students need them? If so, you've come to the right place! We welcome your help at our non-partisan Meet and Greets running now through October 22nd, 2014. Click here for more.
LWVFA is extending our celebration of National Voter Registration Day through October 3rd. We are teaming up with the Office of Elections' New Voting Machine Roadshow and are registering voters across Fairfax County. To volunteer to help, please contact Sidney Johnson at 703-476-0581 or email Voter Service.
Don't miss your chance! Voter Registration deadline is October 14th.
2014 Meet and Greet Events Learn More
- 2014 Meet and Greet
Meetings and Calendar Learn More
- Times and locations of meetings and the monthly program topic.
Election Information Learn More
- Click here for information on General and Special Elections as well as information on absentee voting, your polling place, and ID required to vote.
Voting Information Learn More
- Eligibility, Registration, Absentee Ballots, ID Requirements, Polling Places and more
Facts For Voters Learn More
- The League's annual brochure of government officials, agencies and services with contact information
LWVFA Community Volunteers Learn More
- LWVFA Member Volunteers for our Community Elections and Voter Registration Drives: We need you!
Community Service Hours for High School Students Learn More
- Are you a high school student seeking community service hours or a government teacher whose students need them? If so, you've come to the right place! We welcome your help at our non-partisan Meet and Greets running now through October 22nd, 2014.
Join the League Learn More
- Why and how can you join our grassroots organization?
Contact Us Learn More
- ...for more information.
Who We Are & What We Do
The League of Women Voters of the Fairfax Area is a nonpartisan political organization that encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
- We discuss & study issues of local, national, state & regional concern. We inform ourselves, legislators & the general public about the results of our research.
- We lobby for passage of laws we support & for the defeat of those we oppose, based on League positions.
- We monitor elections & government activities.
- We sponsor candidate debates & community forums about vital issues.
- We testify at legislative & administrative hearings to insure citizen input in policy making decisions.
- We publish & distribute issue-oriented material.
- We advocate, we occasionally go to court to help clarify & enforce laws in the public interest.
- We produce & distribute Voters' Guides to help citizens to choose candidates & to be prepared to vote on ballot questions.
- We get INVOLVED! Join us in lively conversations & interesting issues!
The League of Women Voters never supports or opposes candidates for office, or political parties, and any use of the League of Women Voters name in campaign advertising or literature has not been authorized by the League.
Membership in the League of Women Voters is open to anyone -- men and women -- age 18 and older. JOIN US - click here
for an application form.