Democracy is not a spectator sport!
The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political organization encouraging informed and active participation in government. We influence public policy through education and advocacy.
Please refresh your browser when viewing this website in order to get the latest news.
Yes, Virginia, there really is an election in our state this year. We, in fact, have elections every year in the Commonwealth. For the fall of 2015, every seat in the General Assembly and most local governing bodies are up for election. Our goal is to educate informed voter in a non-partisan environment, so we are planning the candidate forums across the county. For more, go to Meet and Greet 2015.
Are you interested in becoming an Election Officer? The Fairfax County Office of Elections is seeking officers for the November 3rd election. It pays $175.00 per day.
The League of Women VotersŪ of the Fairfax Area holds monthly unit meetings where we hold discussions . Recent topics include:
League of Women Voters of the Fairfax Area Co-President Helen Kelly discusses the results of the on LWVFA's Firearms in Fairfax County study with Cesar del Aguila on Inside Scoop.
League of Women Voters of the Fairfax Area Leaders Sidney Johnson and Ruth Hoffman discuss the results of the on Firearms in Fairfax County study with Virginia Delegate Ken Plum on his weekly show, the Virginia Report
Virginia Report April 2015 from Comcast Channel 28 on Vimeo.
LWVFA in the news:
Firearms Increase Domestic Abuse Lethality in Fairfax County article in the Fairfax Times
League of Women Voters Hosts Forum on Firearms, Domestic Violence and Suicide in Burke in the Connection
Democratic Party Primary: June 9, 2015
Town of Vienna: May 9, 2015
Election Results across Virginia
Please note that there will be no Republican Party Primary Elections held in Fairfax County. The Republicans will hold 'firehouse elections' for seven supervisor seats.
For more, visit our Elections' Page.
The LWV National Capital Area (LWVNCA) Crossing Boundaries Forum Presentations are online.
Meet and Greet 2015 Learn More
- We sponsor non-partisan meetings and events for the public and League members. In the fall of 2015, we will hold thirteen public Meet and Greet Candidates' Events across the county. Twelve of the events are in the evening; one is in the afternoon.
We have tried to give candidates enough time to present their positions fully. These events will provide unique non-partisan opportunities to engage the public. We hope that all of the candidates will see the potential for getting their messages out through the media and will plan to participate.
These events will be heavily publicized during the spring and summer. We will send further information about publicity and the venues.
Facts For Voters Learn More
- The League's annual brochure of government officials, agencies and services with contact information
2014 Meet and Greet Events Learn More
- 2014 Meet and Greet
Join the League Learn More
- Why and how can you join our grassroots organization?
Who We Are & What We Do
The League of Women Voters of the Fairfax Area is a nonpartisan political organization that encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
- We discuss & study issues of local, national, state & regional concern. We inform ourselves, legislators & the general public about the results of our research.
- We lobby for passage of laws we support & for the defeat of those we oppose, based on League positions.
- We monitor elections & government activities.
- We sponsor candidate debates & community forums about vital issues.
- We testify at legislative & administrative hearings to insure citizen input in policy making decisions.
- We publish & distribute issue-oriented material.
- We advocate, we occasionally go to court to help clarify & enforce laws in the public interest.
- We produce & distribute Voters' Guides to help citizens to choose candidates & to be prepared to vote on ballot questions.
- We get INVOLVED! Join us in lively conversations & interesting issues!
The League of Women Voters never supports or opposes candidates for office, or political parties, and any use of the League of Women Voters name in campaign advertising or literature has not been authorized by the League.
Membership in the League of Women Voters is open to anyone -- men and women -- age 18 and older. JOIN US - click here
for an application form.