The Principles that guide our organization ...
The goal of the League of Women Voters is to empower citizens to shape better communities worldwide.
The League of Women Voters is a non-partisan political membership organization which:
- Acts after study and member agreement to achieve solutions in the public interest on key community issues at all government levels
- Builds citizen participation in the democratic process, i.e. voter registration
- Engages communities in promoting positive solutions to public policy issues through education and advocacy
The League of Women Voters Education Fund is a nonpartisan public policy educational organization which:
- Builds citizen participation in the democratic process through informing voters about the voting process
- Studies key community issues at all governmental levels in an unbiased manner
- Enables people to seek positive solutions to public policy issues through education and conflict management
We believe in:
- respect for individuals
- the value of diversity
- the empowerment of the grassroots, both within the League and in communities
- act with trust, integrity and professionalism
- operate in an open and effective manner to meet the needs of those we serve, both members and the public
- take the initiative in seeking diversity in membership
- acknowledge our heritage as we seek our path to the future
The League of Women Voters believes in representative government and in the individual liberties established in the Constitution of the United States. The League of Women Voters believes that all powers of the U.S. government should be exercised within the constitutional framework of a balance among the three branches of government: legislative, executive, and judicial.
The League of Women Voters believes that democratic government depends upon the informed and active participation of its citizens and requires that governmental bodies protect the citizen's right to know by giving adequate notice of proposed actions, holding open meetings and making public records accessible.
The League of Women Voters believes that every citizen should be protected in the right to vote; that every person should have access to free public education that provides equal opportunity for all; and that no person or group should suffer legal, economic or administrative discrimination.
The League of Women Voters believes that efficient and economical government requires competent personnel, the clear assignment of responsibility, adequate financing, and coordination among the different agencies and levels of government.
The League of Women Voters believes that responsible government should be responsive to the will of the people; that government should maintain an equitable and flexible system of taxation, promote the conservation and development of natural resources in the public interest, share in the solution of economic and social problems that affect the general welfare, promote a sound economy and adopt domestic policies that facilitate the solution of international problems.
The League of Women Voters believes that cooperation with other nations is essential in the search for solutions to world problems and that development of international organization and international law is imperative in the promotion of world peace.